One of the most frequently asked questions we get is: "Does your wireless technology really work?" This is generally followed by: "Is your wireless technology really secure?"
The short answer to both questions is "yes." Here's why we are sure our wireless technology really does work and really is secure.
Wireless monitors make instrumenting a facility faster, simpler and less expensive. Standard wireless protocols such as WiFi and Zigbee, however, often fail to provide acceptable performance and stability. So we built our own.
Our wireless technology works
Packet Power utilizes a custom-developed wireless network protocol that is built specifically and solely for data center monitoring.
- 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz frequencies perform optimally in data centers which are difficult wireless environments due to the amount of metal and "noise".
- It leverages dynamic routing and small packet sizes to remain stable in hostile and rapidly changing wireless environments.
- Packet Power has never failed to establish a well-performing network including in facilities where other wireless solutions have failed.
Our wireless technology is secure
The purpose-built protocol does not allow the network to be hijacked for other purposes.
- Packet Power uses its own purpose-built protocol that is limited solely to power and environmental monitoring tasks.
- Packet Power monitoring devices are on a separate, unique network that is not visible to devices using protocols such as WiFi or Zigbee.
- Packet Power's approach allows for a complete separation of the wireless monitoring network from the wired data network.
- Perhaps best of all, while our system supports full encryption, every customer to date has concluded that the information the system sends over the wireless network simply is not sensitive.
For additional information:
- View a 4-minute video explaining our technology
- Download the white paper on our technology
- Read a related article: Choose the right wireless protocol for your data center
Yes, our wireless technology really does work and it really is secure. We know this because it's been proven in data centers run by major financial services firms, government agencies, and colo companies in over 30 countries worldwide.